Working Paper on Organization of Gomal University Alumni and Event Management
NOTE: This working paper proposes the organization, management and strategic implementation of plan to form, assemble and conduct the alumni related activities in Gomal University, Dera Ismail Khan, KP, Pakistan
Alumnus refers to a former pupil or student, of a particular school, college or University, the plural is alumni. Any individual who has successfully completed a degree or a full year of studies is considered as an alumnus of Gomal University.
1.1 Formal Alumni
Formal alumni can be with objectives, officers, newsletter and subscription. It may have a proper constitution. Under the umbrella of the constitution formal and informal alumni associations can be organized to facilitate communication of University to its alumni round the globe.
1.2 Contact point
An official contact point, in form of an office or under any other existing hierarchy shall be constituted and appointed. This contact point shall be responsible of:
- Organization of Alumni
- Implementation of Alumni Program
- Preparation of By-laws
- Representation in official meet-ups
- Management of formal and informal Alumni associations
- Elections of Alumni council
- Communication management
- Event Management
- Staffing, Reporting and Budgeting
- Any other responsibility assigned by the Patron
1.3 Interest Group/Formal Alumni Association of Gomal University Officials
In order to properly manage and organize the alumni and its associations, Gomal University Alumni Administration shall form an Interest Group for all phases of implementation. This particular interest group shall
- Meet informally
- Explore and use existing alumni resources and organizations, if any
- Obtain and organize geographic listing of alumni under office / contact point for alumni
- Form a formal Alumni Association
- Telephone and personally meet with alums
- Arrange a meet-up of this Association
- Conduct an Election of Alumni Association
- 1.4 First Communication
A letter should be mailed (or a message sent) to all alumni, introducing them to the association, requesting them to update their contact information, and inquiring if there are any interested volunteers for the committee.
A meeting should be convened of alumni to agree upon the association’s objectives and form a committee. A sample agenda might include:
- Call to order
- Review general concepts and goals of the Alumni Association
- Outline Alumni Association functions
Communication (newsletters, mailings, directories, etc.)
Fund raising/collection of seed money
Scholarships and fellowships
Proper investment of the seed money
Assistance in Alumni/Alumnae coordinator programming
- Identify short and long term needs
- Annual subscription
- Establish projected expenditures and dues structure (for education, research, institution)
- Solicit areas of interest and capabilities
- Nomination and election of Alumni/Alumnae Association officers
- Appointment of a committee to draw up the by-laws or organizational outline
- Appointment of other committees and delegation of responsibilities (communications, recognition, events, recruiting, etc.)
- Set date, time and location for follow-up meeting
Have a committee prepare by-laws for adoption at the next meeting. The adopted by-laws need to be sent to the fraternity/sorority headquarters for the chapter-alumni files.
Sample Outline of Alumni Association By-Laws:
- Officers; duties and powers of officers
- Regular committees; duties and functions of committees
- Meetings and programs; general timing of meetings
- Dues; members to association, control of funds
- Scholarship and fellowship funds, control and operation
- Communication – regular; content and timing of newsletters
- Major activities and work projects; chapter assistance, social functions, traditionally-sponsored events.
1.7 Follow up meeting or Event
A launch event should be organized with broad appeal to attract as many alumni as possible, preferably when a senior administrator of the organization is available to attend.
- This meeting is crucial. If the alumni can see results, they will continue to serve on the Alumni Association.
- Other alums and new contacts who could not attend the first meeting should receive invitations through the mail.
- The Association by-laws should be adopted at this meeting as well. It is also important that the chapter officers attend this meeting.
- The meeting should serve to orientate first-time alumni attendees.
Generally, finances for an Alumni/Alumnae Association can be provided in three different ways:
- By an annual dues program for Association members
- By the fund specified for such events in University
- By contributions received by alums for a specific Association program
- By a combination of the above methods
Other financial considerations:
- Capital Fund Raising Campaigns by fixing their BRICKS in the University
public places (Auditorium, conference rooms, senate hall, and other public places)
(Platinum brick rate 100,000/-, Gold brick rate 50,000/-, White Gold brick rate 30000/-, Silver brick rate 20000 and brass brick rate 10000)
Strategic Planning for the Major Alumni Organization
- Objective Setting for alumni event in the University
- Identification of High Profile Alumni/ Wealthy
- Alumni Communication including 1st, 2nd and final Communication
- Production of Final Report
- Social media management to reach and engage alumni
- Election of Alumni Council
- Alumni Associations, formal informal and their engagement in conducting major alumni function.
MESSAGE FROM VICE CHANCELLOR
Proposed Organizational Structure of Alumni
Strong leadership is very important for any formal or informal association under umbrella of alumni. A continual process shall be adopted in scrutiny, selection and renewal among leadership of alumni for better growth, vital progress and prosperous organization. The number of committee members and elected officers vary depending on the size and needs of the alumni membership. Following is the organization of proposed Alumni Executive council. The following positions will be selected for first three years (each year), while onward the positions will be filled by proper election each year.