Department of Soil Science
Introduction of Deportment
The Department of Soil Sciences was initiated in 1982. The Department has been renamed as Soil and Environmental Sciences in 2009 after approval from the relevant bodies. The Department is running B.Sc. (H) and M.Sc. (H) Soil Science programs since 1982 and 1988 respectively. PhD program was also started in 1995.
Department of Soil Science is working as one of the major specialization of Agriculture with the mission to educate and carry out research on soil and environment being the most precious natural resource. The department provides opportunities to the graduate and post graduate students to work in the field and laboratory to address the various problems related to soil and environment and also to explore various options used for their conservation and efficient use.
- To create an environment conducive for learning and students oriented.
- To divert the expertise and research efforts towards solving the soil, water and environment problems of the area.
- To work for conservation of the existing soil & water resources and find new ones.
- To popularize the new idea of climate smart agriculture, efficient use of inputs and crops diversification among the farmers of the area.
- To establish national & international linkages with the departments of other universities.
- To equip the students and the faculty with the latest techniques in Soil Science by national and international level courses.
- To arrange Seminars, Conferences, Trainings and Workshops to provide a forum of discussion and exchange of ideas by the students, faculty, other stake holders and experts in the field.
- To carry out research on soil problems, productivity, nutrients, use of waste water, sludge, industrial and organic wastes in agriculture, food chain contamination, heavy metal contamination and their phytoremediation etc.